The Application Process to the Clinical Psychology PhD Program
Your completed application must be submitted by December 1 to be considered.
Online Application for Graduate Admission
Your application to the Clinical Psychology PhD program should include the following:
1. Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. Note: Unofficial transcripts are required for application review. A pdf scan of an official transcript is preferred, which you will be asked to upload as part of the online application. Official transcripts will be required prior to enrollment if accepted.
2. Report of GRE General Test scores is required. The Subject Test in Psychology is strongly recommended. GRE scores must be sent directly to the CUA Office of Graduate Admissions from the testing service and cannot be attached to the online application. CUA's test code is 5104. The online application will also ask you to self-report your GRE scores.
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV): You will be asked to upload a copy of your CV in the “Resume” section of the online application. The next section of the application, Activities, asks for information that you would have already included in your CV, and can be ignored.
4. Three letters of recommendation from individuals who know you well and are able to describe with specificity your academic, research, clinical, and/or work performance, as well as your potential in the field of clinical psychology. Note: in the online application, you will be providing the name, email address, daytime phone number, title, and agency affiliation for those writing your letters of recommendation. CUA will email these individuals and provide a link for each of them to complete a recommendation form and upload their letter.
5. Personal statement: a two- to three-page statement about why you are qualified for the program. Include information on your research and clinical experience, areas you would like to do research on in graduate school, your goals after obtaining your doctorate, faculty with whom you would like to work, and other important information you would like the review committee to know about you. Note: You will upload your personal statement essay in the “Statement of Purpose” section of the online application.
6. Clinical Psychology Interest Form
Note: Download this document from the link immediately above, or click on the link in the final section of the online application (Clinical Psychology Interest Form). Complete and save this form on your computer, then upload and attach it to the application. You may type your name at the bottom of the form where it asks for your signature.
Applicants with serious financial difficulties, and applicants who would increase diversity in the student body (e.g., veterans and ethnic minorities), may seek to have the application fee waived. To request an application fee waiver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Dr. Sandra Barrueco, to explain the basis for your request.
If after you submit your application you
later need to submit an additional form, please DO NOT use the online system. Instead, send the additional form in an email to email@example.com
. The subject line should read "clinical psychology applicant", and in the text of the email, please include your full name and the 7-digit student ID number that was emailed to you when you submitted your application online.
As a member of the Council of University Directors of Clinical Training (CUDCP), the Clinical Psychology program at CUA adheres to CUDCP’s policies and guidelines for graduate school admissions, offers and acceptance. For additional information about these policies, please visit this page.