How to Apply to the Human Development PhD Program
Applications can be submitted online.
Your application to the Applied Experimental PhD program should include the following:
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. Note: Either unofficial transcripts or official transcripts can be submitted for application review. Official transcripts will be required prior to enrollment if accepted. If you receive an error message that a transcript's file size is too large, please contact the Graduate Admissions office (202-319-5057) for possible solutions.
- Statement of purpose: This is sometimes known as a “Personal Statement.” It’s an approximately two-page (double-spaced; one page if single-spaced) statement about your qualifications for the program, including information on your research experience, your areas of particular interest within applied experimental psychology, your goals after obtaining your doctorate, and any other important information you would like for us to know about you.
- Curriculum Vitae or resume. Note: If submitting online, upload in the Employment Information section.
- Three letters of recommendation, along with the Recommendation Rating Form, from individuals who know you well and are able to describe your academic and/or research performance. If you have professional experience, one of the letters could be about your job performance. Note: If you submit your application online, online completion of the recommendation forms and uploaded letters are required. If submitting via mail, give a paper copy of the Recommendation Rating Form to each referee. The paper form can be downloaded here.
- Report of GRE General Test scores. The Subject Test in Psychology is not required. GRE scores must be sent directly the CUA Office of Graduate Admissions from the testing service and cannot be attached to the online application. CUA's test code for the GRE and TOEFL is 5104.
Please contact the program director, Dr. Marcie Goeke-Morey with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).